10 Tips how to choose a Contractor
Every time we have any meeting with potential clients we can hear in the voice a tremble of stress because of the decision that has to be made in order to choose the right contractor for the project and it does't matter if is building of an extension, loft building, renovation or any other project. The bigger the project the most important to choose the right Building Company to take over the project.
Following we would like to describe 10 tips in choosing the right contractor.
1. We recommend before deciding to send documents for estimation, to prepare as detailed as possible your project in such way you will be able to get a more accurate estimate and will be able to track the works accordingly to the contract. Also, you will be able to avoid so called 'Unpredictable additional works'.
2. Recommendation is probably the biggest advertising for any Construction Company. Word of mouth is the driver in choosing those companies that have been already checked and have a reputation in the back. Ask friends, relatives and co-workers for references. People in your neighborhood who have done similar projects are your best sources. If you know people in the building trades, ask them, too. Employees of local hardware stores may also be able to provide referrals.
3. If you have an architect, designer for the job they will help you to prepare documents for the Tender, This is a process in which you can get different quotes for the same project. Interview at least three contractors. Ask a lot of questions and get a written bid from each one. When you compare bids, make sure each one includes the same materials and the same tasks, so you’re comparing apples and apples.
4. Choose the right contractor for the right project but do not get caught on the emotion of a small work done for the neighbour. Check references for other projects and if you can visit few projects will be very beneficial.
5. Check licenses, complaints and litigation history. General contractors and most subcontractors should be licensed, although the procedure varies by state and municipality. Usually, construction companies should be Insured: Public Liability Insurance, Employer Insurance and/or All Contractor Works Insurance.
6. Sign a detailed contract. Make sure your contract spells out exactly what will be done, including deadlines, progress payments, the exact materials that will be used down to the model number and who will provide which materials. If the builder’s contract is not detailed enough, write up your own or provide addendum. Any change in the project, whether you change your mind about products or ask for additional projects, should generate a written change order that includes the new work, materials and cost.
7. Don’t sign a contract for your entire renovation budget. No matter how careful you and the contractor are in preparing for the job, there will be surprises that will add to the cost. Expect to spend at least 10 percent to 15 percent more than your contract.
8. We like to report to the client every day with photos of the project process. Our clients are up to date with the entire project. Make sure you can get reports as often you want from you Contractor, such way you will be able to track entire project. Also, photo reports can help you in the future in case of disputes or if you need to supply any photos to Building Control or any other Body.
9. Choose the contractor looks professional, talks professional and the one you can get easy. Any project built in a good relation ship usually finalises in higher quality, however this is not a rule and be always aware that things may change. Use your intuition and chose the one that you can trust but you can easily track, so a transparent company is a key.
10. Timing- some contractors in order to win your confidence may give a very fast turnaround time. Try not to get caught. Every project can be built at a specific timing some times faster than other but may depend on many factors.
We hope these tips will help you to decide on the contractor that is the most suitable for your project. Once a decision is made you should believe that you made the right decision.
#tipstochooseacontractor #chooseabuildingcompany #howtochoosetherightbuilder #bestconstructioncompany #constructioncompany #constructioncompanynearme #extension #lofts #conversions #renovations #newbuild #COntractor #GeneralContractor #10Tips